Parent to Parent Family Support Network-High Country (FSN-HC) is a unique grant and donor supported community outreach program of the Reich College of Education at Appalachian State University. With over 30 years of experience providing special needs information and programming to families and professionals, Parent to Parent High Country Family Support NetworkTM serves a seven county area, providing free and confidential services in Alleghany, Ashe, Avery, Mitchell, Watauga, Wilkes, and Yancey Counties.
Parent to Parent Family Support Network-High Country began in 1988 as a joint effort of families, the Family Support Network of North Carolina, the Boone Developmental Evaluation Center, and the Department of Language, Reading, and Exceptionalities at Appalachian State University. An advisory board of parents and professionals governs the program.
- We have been serving the High Country under Appalachian State since 1988.
- Currently serving 7 counties: Alleghany, Ashe, Avery, Mitchell, Watauga, Wilkes, Yancey
- There are no other organizations in the area that provide our unique services
- Our Services are confidential and free
- We collaborate with many other organizations and are careful not to duplicate services
- Staff: Full time director who also provides direct services in Avery and Watauga, 3/4 time outreach coordinator for Alleghany, Ashe, Wilkes 18 hour a week outreach coordinator for Mitchell & Yancey
- The program is currently housed in the Children's Developmental Services Agency of the Blue Ridge
An affiliate of the Family Support NetworkTM of North Carolina, Parent to Parent Family Support NetworkTM - High Country is sponsored locally by Appalachian State University.
Our Mission Statement
We provide support, education and caring connections to families who: have children with diverse physical, emotional, intellectual or health needs; have a child born prematurely, or are grieving the loss of a child.
To touch every family who needs our support
To be a caring, compassionate organization that is:
- Integrated into the communities we serve
- Creating a lasting impact
- Increasing understanding and acceptance of individuals with diverse abilities and special needs
One of the greatest assets any child can have is a strong family
All children have abilities and gifts to give
All children deserve the opportunity to be the very best they can be
When families need help, one of the greatest resources can be another family
We all have a role to play in building caring communities that help create opportunities for our children
We recognize that powerful change can take place in families, in our communities, and in our world when families have the tools they need and can see the potentials realized for their children
- Blueridge Partnership for Children
- The Health Foundation Inc.
- The High Country Charitable Foundation Inc.
- The High Country United Way
- Holy Cross Episcopal Church
- The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services
- Rumple Memorial Presbyterian Church
- Vaya Health